About Hall & Wilcox
Hall & Wilcox is a leading independent Australian law firm. We are a firm of over 750 people delivering outstanding legal services to corporate, public sector and private clients, both Australian-based and those offshore doing business in Australia.
Hall & Wilcox offers expertise in a number of key areas of commercial practice, including:
- Banking and Financial Services
- Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Corporate and Commercial
- Health and Community
- Insurance (General and Statutory)
- Private Clients
- Property and Projects
- Public Sector
- Technology and digital economy
- Pro Bono
Hall & Wilcox was recently named finalist: Best Law & Related Services Firm ($50m-$200m revenue) and Best Provider to Financial & Insurance Services Industry at the Client Choice Awards 2020. The firm was also granted the Employer of Choice Gender Equality citation from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) for 2019 and 2020.
We have offices in Melbourne, Sydney, Newcastle, Perth, Canberra, Brisbane, Parramatta and Darwin.
We’re renowned for our Smarter Law approach. Smarter Law means we look beyond the status quo to think differently and find solutions that are better, faster and cheaper. Smarter Law includes enabling technology, challenging business models, innovative pricing and creative resourcing.
Law graduates have the option to participate in a structured and supported rotation in our Client Solution team. The rotation will build smarter law advocates from the ground up who are focused on delivering value to our clients and people. The rotation will see law graduates seconded to specific projects that will benefit our legal teams by fostering internal relationships and a broader understanding of Smarter Law.
We are well known in the market for having a great culture – which is warm and welcoming, innovative, inclusive and supportive. We aim to strike a healthy balance between working hard and maintaining a high level of professionalism with having fun. By having happy and engaged people, we ensure our clients also have a great experience.
One way we live our culture is through our Hallmarks. Our Hallmarks are how we articulate the behaviours consistent with our culture. Our Hallmarks are more than just words on a website – our people refer to and live our Hallmarks every day.
We have a clear strategy and purpose, great clients, interesting work, Smarter Law, career investment, plenty of benefits and much more on offer as well.
We’re also committed to building a workplace that reflects the communities in which we operate by investing in a diverse and inclusive workforce and providing opportunities for under-represented groups. Our commitment in this area is reflected in our WGEA Employer of Choice for Gender Equality citation.
The things our people love about Hall & Wilcox include:
- Approachable, friendly and supportive environment
- Our open-plan, flexible workspaces
- Dress for your day
- Daily healthy start breakfast for our people
- Friday night drinks every Friday
- Our emerging artists’ program
- Social and sporting activities
- Motivated and enthusiastic leaders
- Community involvement and pro bono
- Our diversity, inclusion and wellbeing focus
Our graduate program is a priority for us because we recognise that today’s law graduates are tomorrow’s leaders of the firm. Over the years, the program has proven to be highly successful with many of our current partners completing their graduate year with us. Hall & Wilcox is proud to have been ranked third at the LegalVitae Top100 Awards for Most Popular Overall Law Employer for graduates.
Our program includes:
- A combination of on-the-job training and support in completing Practical Legal Training.
- A comprehensive induction with the national graduate cohort which lays the foundation for the year ahead.
- The opportunity to gain experience in several of the firm’s practice areas.
- An extensive support network including a buddy, a mentor and supervising partner to provide guidance and support throughout the year.
- Regular learning opportunities through our Accelerate program, designed to develop our graduates and provide them with the skills and expertise to excel.
- Opportunities to participate in Pro Bono and Smarter Law initiatives
HW commitment to pro bono work/community
We are proud of our pro bono practice and our engagement with not-for-profit community groups, individuals and charities. We recognise and embrace the community responsibilities that come with being a successful, respected firm and a representative of the legal profession. For our people, the firm’s pro bono and community involvement is personally and professionally enriching.
We run a coordinated pro bono & community practice that comprises of employees from all areas of the firm. We encourage and give full credit for pro bono work to everyone at the firm. As part of our graduate program, our Law Graduates can choose to rotate through our Pro Bono practice, which includes a one day per week secondment to a legal centre.
We have fostered close, ongoing relationships with several inspirational community organisations, to which we provide pro bono legal services. Some of these include: