If you’re interested in getting some experience, have a browse through the opportunities on offer below.
Information for employers
Interested in reaching out to bright and promising law students? Firms are welcome to send in job listings for us to advertise to our members on this page.
Please provide the following information to our Vice-President (Careers), Cassy Reilly at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Jobs Board”:
- Title/position name
- Start date
- Type of Job Legal/Non-legal/Volunteer
- Duration/Employment Type (casual, part-time, full time, 6-month internship etc.)
- Rate of pay
- Date applications close
- Contact details, a URL/web address can be added for further information
Rydge Evans Lawyers
Rydge Evans Lawyers is a boutique commercial law practice with offices in Sydney and Melbourne. We are a wide spectrum commercial services firm with primary practice areas in property and commercial transactions, commercial disputes, insolvency and wills & estates.
We are looking for a junior law student to work with us on a part-time basis (to fit your timetable).
Duties will include:
• Handling mail, photocopying, filing, archiving and general administrative duties
• Research on various areas of law
• Collating and preparing briefs for counsel
• Drafting and reviewing legal documents and correspondence to clients
• Assisting in conveyancing including exchanging contracts and assisting with PEXA workspaces and settlements
• Assisting with the preparation of estate planning documents
We are looking for an enthusiastic, well-spoken and well-presented candidate who has excellent verbal and written communication skills, displays attention to detail and initiative, and who will follow through on all tasks delegated to them.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please email your resume to Lisa Muir,
Office Manager at email@example.com.
Legal Secretarial Assistant to Dr Elisabeth Peden SC of Third Floor Wentworth Chambers
Applications close: 24 September 2021
Hours & Days: 9am-5.00pm (including breaks) 2 days
Pay rate: $28/ hr
There is an invaluable opportunity for a law student to work as a PA/legal secretary in Chambers. This is a job share position and we are looking for someone to work on 2 days (negotiable with other job sharer but must be available Wednesdays) and to stand-in for our existing assistant during holiday or leave periods. Flexibility is offered during exam periods and the job is available for immediate start.
The position is best suited to a current law student with at least 1-2 years remaining in their degree. The responsibilities are administration and practice management (invoicing, liaising with solicitors, creation of briefs etc.), some research, some transcription and proofreading, answering telephones and taking messages, assisting with other administrative work.
While administrative experience is well-regarded, it is not essential. Rather, you will ideally possess the following:
– Ability to stay calm under pressure
– Attention to detail
– Common sense and willingness to take initiative
– Excellent English – spoken and written
– Typing skills
– Ability to learn quickly
– Understanding of confidentiality
– Legal Research skills
Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents only (incl. New Zealand Citizens)
Please send a cover letter and brief CV to Elisabeth Peden – firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate to his Honour Judge Montgomery
District Court of New South Wales
His Honour Judge Montgomery of the District Court of New South Wales is accepting applications for the position of Associate in 2022. The commencement date is to be 27 January 2022 for two days induction and in the principal role with his Honour from 31 January 2022 but negotiable – preferred start date before the end of February.
Location: The District Court of New South Wales, John Maddison Tower, 86-90 Goulburn Street, Sydney, NSW 2000. However, his Honour is likely to sit in Parramatta as well as on circuit sittings throughout regional NSW.
Commencement Date: 27 January 2022 (Training), 31 January 2022 (Principal Role) – Negotiable.
Hours: Full time (9:00am to 5:00pm, plus additional hours (highly likely) according to the workload of chambers)
Remuneration: $ 97,414.71 (inclusive of superannuation)
Application Closing Fee: Friday, 29 October 2021
Role Description and General Duties:
The primary purpose of the role is to support the operations of the District Court by providing administrative, organisational and executive support to Judge Montgomery in chambers and in the courtroom. Key responsibilities and duties include:
– Accurately record judicial decisions and orders on the Department’s Justicelink system and court files;
– Release judgments to the internet and the parties, including publishing judgements on NSW Caselaw;
– Diary, chambers and court file management;
– Correspondence, memoranda and judgment preparation;
– Court document and exhibit management;
– Administration of court proceedings;
– Read indictments, empanel juries, and take verdicts;
– Providing telephone and personal interface between the Judge, other judges, chambers, the profession, the public and other key stakeholders;
– Dictation, word processing and operation of computer (personal and network) systems;
– Liaison with appropriate departmental support services;
– Organisation for/of circuit travel;
– Official and community interaction;
– Office support and logistics; and
– Legal research, filing, notations, collections and production of documentation.
The position demands initiative and dedication to the provision of high quality executive assistance in a challenging work environment. It requires an acute appreciation of the confidential nature of information which Associates become privy to. Discretion, tact and strong administrative and communicative skills are essential. Additional to the specific nature of tasks assigned by the Judge, an Associate will spend much time communicating with other judges, the legal profession, Registry staff and Court staff to minimise delay and cost and importantly, to make the Judge’s role an easier one. Ideal candidates will also have a strong academic record, preferably with at least a distinction average and/or honours in their tertiary legal qualifications.
Application Requirements & Closing Date
If you meet the above requirements and are interested in applying for the position of Associate to his Honour Judge Montgomery, please forward a copy of your CV (including a cover letter) and academic transcript(s) via email to his Honour’s current Associate, Lachlan Ward, at email@example.com, on or before Friday, 29 October 2021.
Casual Program Facilitator
batyr is on the lookout for passionate and engaging young people to deliver batyr programs! Casual program facilitators are like the MC’s of a batyr program. They deliver mental health content, lead group activities and challenges, introduce and debrief the stories shared by batyr’s lived experience storytellers and adapt their approach and style to engage different groups in positive and dynamic conversations.
For more information, check out their website here.